What is Coronavirus
Coronavirus is a very infectious deadly disease which can easily be transmitted through tiny droplets from cough, sneeze and the saliva.
The virus spreads primarily through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose when an infected person sneeze, coughs or spits. Therefore it’s important that you cough, sneeze, ensure your mouth is properly covered with your elbow rather than with your hands.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared coronavirus as a global pandemic. Since a vaccine nor a cure has been developed yet, the only solution to curbing this pandemic is to stay at home, wash your hands and maintain social distancing as advised by WHO.
How to boost Your immune system against Coronavirus
Sometimes you cannot be too careful as this virus could be spread by someone without showing symptoms. This has made it necessary to fortify and build your immune system against any possible attacks from the virus.
After keeping safe distances, washing of hands often and maintaining all possible health precautions. You can not leave out one important thing, which is fortifying and boosting your immune system. How can you boost your immune system to fight Coronavirus?
This is probably one of the frequently asked questions and possibly the question in your mind right now as these pandemic has claimed the lives of thousands of people worldwide.
Different sources often come with conflicting stories on how coronavirus works and how to keep safe. Some sites are even coming up with absurd ways to keep yourself safe. Some of these sources have claimed we should try different medications and fruits like eating Onions, some say Ginger and Garlic etc. Even the American president President Trump advised the use of Chloroquine in combating the virus. But how do we know which of these recommendations, really works?
The answer is not a straight forward one this is because the immune system is a combination of several systems that come together to serve as a firewall to fight against diseases and virus in the body. The immune system is not just one organ it has several components. So one needs to be careful this is because helping one section of might impair or affect another or using a particular food or drug may boost a part that has nothing to do with fighting a virus.
This made giving a straight solution very challenging and since the coronavirus (COVID19) is still new and they are still trying to understand how it works? So a lot is involved in building your immune system.
Things to Note / Basic Safety Tips
If you are older or have a health condition like diabetes and high blood pressure, you have an increased risk of severe symptoms, and potentially, loss of life from Coronavirus.
If you are young and otherwise healthy your risk of complications is much lower. If you do contract the virus, you will probably have mild symptoms and fully recover within a couple of weeks. However, you may be infected with the virus without showing any symptoms.
So the basic truth is for us is maintaining excellent hygiene and practising social isolation are crucial to avoid spreading it to high-risk individual.
Wash your hands properly for at least 20seconds with soap or using hand sanitizer that is greater than 60% alcohol.
How to Boost Your Immune System
1. Avoid smoking: smokers have an increased risk of catching infections and suffering severe complications from that infection. This is due to the many components in cigars which may affect the overall well being of a person.
2. Get adequate sleep: Sleep is one of the most important requirements for good health and general well being. Getting at least eight hours of sleep every day will go a long way to boost your immune system.
3. Exercise: When you exercise, Your body releases chemicals that are helpful to the body. It has also been scientifically proven that those who exercise regularly tend to suffer fewer infections than those who do not.
4. Avoid Stress: Even though stress is good for the body but too much stress will release chemicals that are harmful to the body. Stress may temporarily enhance immune function, while too much of stress is likely to diminish immune function, so try as much as possible not to overstress your mind and body.
5. Avoid Excessive Alcohol: If you drink alcohol, drink moderately. Excessive alcohol intake would greatly affect your immune system. So avoid excessive alcohol intake.
6. Eat lots of fruits: Eating fruits will help build a stronger metabolism. Fruits contain vitamins that are good for the body in the fight against virus and diseases
7. Eat Lots of vegetables: Vegetables are great sources of nutrients needed by the body to wade off sicknesses.
8. Take Supplements: The supplements that are advised to be taken are:
By doing these few steps you are helping your body to build strong immunity to not only fight coronavirus but also other diseases that could put your health at risk.
With these steps, you are on your way to staying safe and fighting any form of virus that you come in contact with including the dreaded Coronavirus.